It's been a while since we've put together what's been going on in the GWT community, and there's no time like the present to do so. Below are a handful of updates and new releases that have taken place over the past few months.
Smart GWT 2.1: Smart GWT, a framework that provides enhanced widgets that can coexist on both your client and server, has released a 2.1 version. Below are some of the key features of this release:
- GWT 2.0.3 compatible
- New Graphite theme
- Support for widgets in ListGrid cells
- Support for Checkbox TreeGrid with cascade selection and tri-state checkboxes (selected, unselected, partial)
- Significant improvement in ToolStrip appearance
- Improved Print support with fine grain control over what widgets and data appears in print view
- Support for Flash, ActiveX, Applets and SVG as Smart GWT widgets
- Various performance improvements
- GWT 2.0 Development Mode Support – provides the ability to debug your project with the browser of your choice. Includes multi-browser debugging, allowing you connect to multiple browsers in a single debugging session and network support, plus a view to embed development mode logging messages directly into an Eclipse view.
- Layout Panels - Employ all new GWT 2.0 Layout Panel types. Layout Panels offer a predictable, constraint-based layout system on top of standard CSS to help you reliably create a desired layout.
- Widgets - Enjoy greater design flexibility with support for all new GWT 2.0 in-line widgets (Label, HTML and Hyperlink).
- Enhanced Ext GWT (GXT) Support – Utilize added support for GXT 2.1 and un-typed GXT events.
Gilead Update: Gilead, an Open-Source framework for seamless integration of Hibernate and GWT, has released an updated version of its project that contains the following features:
- Predefined remote services
- A new specific transport annotation (@LimitedAccess) to implement custom access to entity fields (role based for example)
- Lazy property checking on the GWT side, to know if a null association on client side was already null on server or just lazy but not loaded (and thus replaced with null by Gilead)
- A ConfigurationHelper class, to limit Gilead configuration to one line of code
GWT MVC 0.4: The GWT MVC project, aimed at creating a layer on top Google Web Toolkit's widget library capable of implementing RIAs in easier and more conceptually guided way based on Model-View-Controller design pattern, has released version 0.4.
GWT Service Resolver: The gwtserviceresolver project has been added to Google code. Similar to gwt-dispatch, gwtserviceresolver allows you to minimize the code changes that are necessary as you add new RPC services.
GWT Mosaic: The GWT Mosaic project has added some tutorials to help developers wire up UiBinder-based elements with GWT Mosaic Actions.